Monday, June 1, 2015

The Hard Work Begins.....

So now that I have the plot, its a bit overwhelming.  I stared at it for about an hour. The neighbouring
 plot holders are all very kind and are offering a lot of advice.  I suspect one actually wants the space for himself. he has been telling me with regularity that the space WILL flood and it wont be worth the effort I am going to have to put in.  I remain undeterred.....

after the first night of just staring at the space, I started to plan.  My brother-in-law has assessed the space and is sure it wont flood.  He came out with his Ryobi battery-powered weed whacker and got a lot of the weeds down to an inch high - just so we can see what we are working with , not as my weed solution.

The ground is VERY dry and hard so I soaked the space with the hose (the allotments come with a water spigot - one for every 10 spots) and spent a Saturday afternoon turning over the soil on half of the allotment space as stage one of the preparation work.

Next day, we added 8 large bags of peat moss and b-i-l used his roto-tiller to turn it over again.


I let this all dry out again and came back a few days after to start pulling out the weeds to prep the soil for planting.  I am not sure how good the soil is - it looks good.  I suppose until I get a bit more experience, this will be a bit of trial and error.  i do have to get the seeds in soon if I am going to see a decent harvest so a few more nights of weed pulling and I shoudl be ready to go.






No comments:

Post a Comment